Installing a Commercial CCTV System in Bedfordshire
One of the questions we’re regularly asked, as professional commercial CCTV installers, is ‘What’s involved in a CCTV installation?’. Most businesses are clear about the security benefits of having a CCTV system in place, but they worry about the disruption to business, making decisions about positioning, choosing the right system, and legal compliance. The good news is that 1st Choice makes installing a commercial CCTV system in Bedfordshire simple.
In this blog, we take you through the process.
Installing Commercial CCTV Cameras
Your 1st Choice Security Systems engineer will begin with a security audit of your premises. This helps us to design your CCTV system effectively. As specialists in CCTV, we’ll be able to advise you on the CCTV cameras that would best suit your purpose, and provide guidance on positioning to ensure maximum coverage.
Your commercial CCTV system will be made up of 4 components:
- CCTV cameras.
- Cabling. This is required to transfer the data.
- Network Video Recorder. Facilitates the storage of recorded images on a hard drive which can be transmitted to computers or remote devices.
- Storage. For video recorder and cabling.
The process of installing your CCTV system may also include integrating it with existing security measures, such as intruder alarms or access control. A simple installation will take a few hours; whilst larger premises with more complex requirements could take a few days. The 1st Choice installation team will work with you to ensure minimum disruption to business.
Where Should Commercial CCTV Cameras be Positioned?
Following on from our security audit, 1st Choice provides Bedfordshire clients with detailed recommendations for the positioning of CCTV cameras. In most cases we would suggest that they be placed in the car park (to deter theft and vandalism); entrances and exits (providing evidence of visitors); in the reception area (to pick up intruders taking advantage of this busy area); areas where data or valuable stock is stored.
CCTV and the Law
There are 3 areas of legislation that a commercial CCTV system in Bedfordshire businesses needs to comply with:
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
- The Protection of Freedoms Act
- The Surveillance Camera Code of Practice
In order to achieve compliance, businesses using CCTV cameras on their premises will need to:
- Provide clear signage indicating that CCTV is in use.
- Store images only for so long as they are required.
- Share images with the police if requested.
- Provide recorded images of individuals, if requested, within 1 calendar month.
- Pay an Annual Data Protection Fee to the ICO. This is £40 or £60 for most smaller or medium-sized businesses and organisations, including charities. Where businesses have a high annual turnover, or employ large numbers of people, the fee can go up to £2,900.
About 1st Choice Security Systems
1st Choice Security Systems are skilled and experienced commercial CCTV installers. We currently work in a range of locations including schools, higher education facilities, retail, office buildings, distribution centres and warehousing. Every member of the team is DBS checked, and 1st Choice is SafeContractor approved.
In need of CAMESAFE CCTV systems?
Our CAMESAFE Installers have vast knowledge and experience to be able to offer the required security solutions and automation safety for all our security systems.
Would you like to talk to a 1st Choice engineer about installing a commercial CCTV system in your Bedfordshire business? Call today on 0800 118 2414
1st Choice Security Systems - The quality is top rate and the gate looks fantastic, excellent customer service. Thank you–Rebecca Perks
1st Choice Security Systems - When I was looking for a state of the art security solution for my house, I was provided with an in-depth site survey & Consultation (Free of charge) before being given a fantastic service. I am very impressed and would highly recommend.–Dev Patel