Choosing the Right Home Security Gate
Security gate systems aren’t just for areas with a high crime rate. 1st Choice Security Systems designs and installs residential driveway gates across Beds, Bucks, Herts, and North London. For some of our clients, security is what drives their decison to install automatic gates, for others, gates enhance the style of their property frontage. Whatever your reason for choosing home security gates, this article is all about getting the right product for your needs.
Why Security Gate Systems
Crime takes many forms, and home security gates are a great way to deal with a number of them. Security gates systems are known to deter opportunist intruders who are looking for an easy target. They enhance the privacy of your property and act as a first line of defence against unexpected visitors. A driveway gate fitted with a door entry system allows you to identify visitors before they can access your front door.
Different Kinds of Security Gates
1st Choice designers always make a site visit before offering recommendations as to the ideal electric gate for your property. The 3 main options are swing gates, sliding gates and bi-fold gates. Which one is right for you, though, will depend on the size shape and incline on your drive:
- Swing Gates. This is the kind of gate we think of most readily. The system is made up of two gates, each of which swing back automatically when activated. The driveway into which they swing needs to accommodate the arc of the gate, and there’s shouldn’t be an incline, otherwise the gates will stick.
- Sliding Gates. If you have a shallow, or inclined driveway, sliding gates are the perfect solution. An electric motor slides the gate, which is pulled by a simple gear system. Secure sliding gates will normally slide in one direction across your driveway, running on a fixed track. Cantilever sliding gate systems are also available.
- Bi-Fold Gates. If your driveway doesn’t have the depth required for a full swing gate, a bi-fold gate goes some way to solving the problem. The two gate leafs are cut in half to allow the gates to fold as they open. This halves the arc of the gate and improves the speed at which it operates.
If you have a small driveway, we can create a stylish bespoke gate option.
Access Control and Gate Automation
Access is a key issue for security gate systems. Traditionally gate automation has been activated by a key card, or fob. There are now a number of additional advanced methods of access control for your property:
- Keypad. This is mounted at a location convenient to visitors. Once the correct code has been punched in, the gate will open automatically. This can be used alongside a door entry system which identifies visitors and offers remote entry.
- Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR). This form of access control requires the installation of a CCTV camera. Authorised number-plates are registered on the system, and the gates will open automatically for them. Non-authorised vehicles will need to identify themselves.
- Face Recognition. This automation system also requires residential CCTV. Authorised users simply look into a camera as they approach the property, and the gates will open automatically. Non-authorised visitors will need to provide further identification.
What Will Your Driveway Gates Look Like?
Home security gates are more than just a function; they offer a welcome to guests and provide the first impression of your home. You’ll want your security gates to reflect the style of your property, therefore, and match the aesthetic of your home’s exterior. It’s good to know that there’s plenty of choice. At 1st Choice we install bespoke designs, finished with the colour and texture of our clients’ choosing:
- Aluminium Gates. These are a popular choice for contemporary homes that favour a minimalist style. The gates are powder coated to a fantastic finish, and cannot be bettered for strength and durability.
- Wooden Gates. Very much the traditional material for driveway gates. 1st Choice can design in a range of different hard and soft timbers to achieve the look and feel that your home deserves.
- Wrought Iron. These gates echo the Victorian and Edwardian periods and are particularly popular in London properties. Malleable wrought iron allows for intricate and attractive patterning, without compromising on security.
- Steel Gates. Tough and durable, steel can be relied upon for privacy and invulnerability. Steel gates come in a range of colours and designs, which create a stunning entry to modern properties.
Security Gate Maintenance
When 1st Choice installers hand over security gate systems they have been tested for performance, safety, and security. As an external installation though, they need regular electric gate maintenance to retain their initial level of performance over time. We offer regular scheduled maintenance, for your peace of mind, and can be relied upon to respond fast if you need to call us in an emergency.
About 1st Choice Security
The 1st Choice Security team designs and installs security gates for schools, residential properties, warehouses, small retail businesses, offices and heavy machinery depots. We are registered security installers, and we offer a free security audit for your property prior to installation.
1st Choice Security Systems knows how important it is to be able trust installers working in your home. All our engineers are DBS checked, SafeContractor approved, CameSafe approved and we’re a DHF member. We work to the ISO2001-2015 standard. Should you need us in an emergency, we are available 24 hours.
In need of CAMESAFE CCTV systems?
Our CAMESAFE Installers have vast knowledge and experience to be able to offer the required security solutions and automation safety for all our security systems.
Would you like to speak to a 1st Choice installer about our security gate systems? Simply give us a call on 0800 1182414
1st Choice Security Systems - The quality is top rate and the gate looks fantastic, excellent customer service. Thank you–Rebecca Perks
1st Choice Security Systems - When I was looking for a state of the art security solution for my house, I was provided with an in-depth site survey & Consultation (Free of charge) before being given a fantastic service. I am very impressed and would highly recommend.–Dev Patel